Friday, February 16, 2024

Week 4: Academic Language

This week, we were asked to reflect on how we will support students as they develop an understanding of the academic vocabulary needed to access our mini-units. 

I was excited to dive into these readings for two reasons. First, I think that, overall, the vocabulary instruction in the curricula that my workplace uses is lacking. While the students’ textbooks do incorporate SoR-aligned strategies such as teaching word parts and practicing common spelling patterns, they rarely revisit taught terms. I’ve noticed that the students I work with often need refreshers on even common terms throughout the course of a unit. For example, I administered my preassessment on Gods and Myths at the very end of a unit on Ancient Rome; however, less than half of all students were able to tell me that ‘goddesses’ are female- even with prompting. The second reason I looked forward to these readings is because the personalized assignment I’ve chosen for this semester also relates to vocabulary instruction. Last semester, I received a comment on my observed lesson that I had not reviewed all relevant terms at the beginning of my lesson. As proper introduction and scaffolding of content and process vocabulary is a vital part of the college’s intermediate-level lesson plan rubric, I wanted to take the time to review it before teaching my first observed lesson at this level. 

I honestly anticipate my students to struggle with mastering all of the vocabulary. To combat this, I plan on reviewing the most vital terms, such as (predictably) “God” and “Myth”, at the very beginning of every lesson. By the final class, students should feel secure in their understanding of both terms.

The Marzano reading stated that, while no process is foolproof, there is a wonderful six-step framework for vocabulary instruction that is supported by research to support academic language acquisition. I think that it is so valuable that I want to quote it here:

1. Provide a description, explanation, or example of the new term.

2. Ask students to restate the description, explanation, or example in their own words.

3. Ask students to construct a picture, pictograph, or symbolic representation of the term.

4. Engage students periodically in activities that help them add to their knowledge of the terms in their vocabulary notebooks.

5. Periodically ask students to discuss the terms with one another.

6. Involve students periodically in games that enable them to play with terms.

(Marzano, 2009)

Simply reading this framework makes me feel more confident about how to introduce vocabulary. I live for formulas like this- especially as this one manages to be both structured in its first three steps, yet more fluid in the latter half. Unfortunately, I already am very limited in my time to execute my lessons- I have only a half hour for each. I know I will not be able to fully incorporate it this semester. That said, I’m going to try and touch on as many steps as I can. I think that it will be easy to include steps 1, 2, and 5. I can partially include step 3 by adding simple images to my slideshow. Steps 4 and 6 are not possible because students do not maintain vocabulary notebooks and I will not have time for a game. Finally, I’m absolutely saving this for future reference, when I can include all steps to the fullest. 

The Fisher & Frey reading suggests a myriad of strategies to help support student vocabulary acquisition, including interactive read-alouds and collaborative text-based discussions. I plan to heavily incorporate both of these strategies into my mini-unit. In fact, my first two lessons are entirely these two strategies- I will introduce vocabulary, it will be used or referred to in the reading, and finally, students will collaboratively fill out a digital graphic organizer.

Thanks for reading, and see you next week!
   Mary


Fisher, D. & Frey, N. (2014). Content Area Vocabulary Learning. The Reading Teacher, 67(8), 594–599. https://www.readingrockets.org/topics/common-core-standards/articles/content-area-vocabulary-learning   

Flynt, E., & Brozo, W.G. (2008, March). Developing Academic Language: Got Words?. The Reading Teacher, 61(6), 500’502. https://www.readingrockets.org/topics/vocabulary/articles/developing-academic-language-got-words  

Kolling, D, & Shumway-Pitt, K. (2019). Academic Language. Lesson Planning 101. University of New Hampshire College of Professional Studies Pressbooks. https://pressbooks.usnh.edu/lessonplanning101/chapter/chapter-five-academic-language/ 

Marzano, R. J. (2009, September 1). The Art and Science of Teaching / Six Steps to Better Vocabulary Instruction. ASCD. https://www.ascd.org/el/articles/six-steps-to-better-vocabulary-instruction  

1 comment:

  1. The six-step framework is a great way to teach vocabulary. I found it funny that it was something that I do when teaching new phonetic sounds, or spelling with first grade without even realizing it. We have them draw pictures of the words, state them in their own words, or even write them in a sentence to make sure they gain the understanding of them.

    ReplyDelete

Week 7: Digital Citizenship

This week, we were asked to reflect on how to teach Digital Citizenship. For a lot of students, their entire lives outside of school are onl...